Remove duplicates in comint-mode command history

From: Denis Bueno
Subject: Remove duplicates in comint-mode command history
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:17:45 -0500

I've been programming in SML for a class I'm taking at school. This involved firing up Emacs and a sml-mode buffer with the source code, and another Emacs buffer with inferor-sml-mode, which uses comint.

Is there any way (simple, preferably, but otherwise is fine) to remove duplicate command history entries? When I hit M-p, I want to see the last *unique* command I typed, not the last 25 times I typed the command to run my program.

Ideas?

-Denis