Re: input: "f7" --> get: "oe"

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: input: "f7" --> get: "oe"
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:58:19 +0100

Am 07.12.2005 um 21:54 schrieb christop:

I don't know if it's really answer my questin since the only character
I'm interested in is the one I pointed before and which is part of
iso-latin-1, hence 8-bit encoded, and of whom I already know the 8bit
code, which is "f7" (hexa).

No, you're definitely wrong here! œ and Œ are *not* part of ISO Latin-1 (it has Æ and æ)! f7 in ISO Latin-1 is ÷, the DIVISION SIGN. You can find œ in Mac Greek. And in Unicode utf-8 at U+0153, UTF-8 representation as C5 93. Yes, I have to admit: in some Losedows code pages too. I know of CP 1252:

        [Œ]  140  214  8C  CAPITAL DIGRAPH OE
        [œ]  156  234  9C  SMALL DIGRAPH OE

When you set your encoding to this you can simply input œ by typing C-q 2 3 4 <SPC>. In an UTF-8 encoded buffer it's C-q 5 2 3 <SPC>. <SPC> is just a proposal. Any non-digit key input would finish the alt mode.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"