Re: Makefile dependency display

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Makefile dependency display
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:56:56 -0800 (PST)

Ian> I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot
Ian> notation.  It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp
Ian> form instead.  What you'd do with it would be up to you ...

Ian> Of course, if your make is not GNU make, this doesn't help you at
Ian> all.

Brendan> Yes, it's gmake, and I would be interested in seeing your
Brendan> program.

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/T/TH/THEDEVIL/makedot-20051210

There's currently no documentation but here is the list of options:

-i regex1,regex2,...    ignore targets that match one of the regexes
[default: '^/usr/(local/)?(lib|include)/', '^/opt/' unless -s is also given,
see below]

-p program              use program (including flags) as the make program
[default: 'make -p -q']

-n name                 name the dot graph with name

-s                      include system headers in graph (which will surely
                        make it unreadable)

Let me know if you feel like adding the Lisp part, or if not maybe specify
the format to the degree you want (of course I reserve the option to do
it differently).

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.