Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:13:03 -0500

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

In the tutorial it suggests I use  C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n rather than
arrow keys, why should i?

What's even more annoying is this: C-p requires left hand C and right
hand p, and then C-b requries right hand C and left hand b. Same goes
for C-f and C-n.

Trying to get used to this is such a pain. It's ludicrous.

A lot of people have explained WHY the tutorial emphasizes them. And I partly agree with you. But I have found that using C-f, C-b, M-f and M-b fairly useful in that I don't have to move my hands as far as I would using the arrow keys. I'm a writer, not a programmer, and that may make a difference.

For the same reason I don't use the up and down commands because I find them awkward. The arrow keys, for me, are just as easy to use in that case.

I don't use the commands in all cases, but it's nice to have the choice. Everybody's fingers work differently. Sometimes it makes work easier, which is why I switched to Emacs from traditional word processors in the first place. I think the tutorial should start with the arrow keys and then give the commands as options and the history behind them.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail take the extra "o" from the name.