Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:22:48 -0900

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [051212 13:37]:
<.....>
> I have yet to see a keyboard with arrow keys close to the rest of the
> keys.  They are always somewhere on the fringes.
> So, habits aside,

  I use a small footprint logitech keyboard  like the one shown
  here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BVBJS/sr=1-217/qid=1134429115/ref=sr_1_217/104-6609881-4501504?%5Fencoding=UTF8

  The arrow keys are below SHIFT and the the right of the spacebar, and
  are handy as an option, certainly much handier than the standard
  keyboard configuration - but the control key combinations are still
  preferable to me, so it is nice to have the choice.

  And I have a stand-alone numeric keypad on the left, with a trackball
  on the right. I find as a programmer that the less I move my hands the
  more productive I have and the less typing errors.

> the distance to C-f is shorter than to the right arrow key, and that
> is an objective fact.  Of course, people might prefer a less efficient
> way, e.g., if they type so slowly that the additional time is
> negligible.

  In the *nix environment similar key combinations can be used widely
  in other applications: i.e. midnight commander, the shell and netscape,
  as just examples.
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>