Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:27:12 -0900

* Ralf Angeli <dev.null@iwi.uni-sb.de> [051213 00:13]:
> * Mathias Dahl (2005-12-13) writes:
>
> > Also, can you seriously say that, when doing complicated cursor
> > movements (imagine navigating around in a crossword or minesweeper
> > game or similar "grid2), that C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p allows for quicker
> > movement?
>
> It doesn't necessarily have to be a game.  More complicated movements
> occur all the time.  And those are situations I yearn for bindings
> e.g. with w, a, s, d.

  well, you can do that. As I'm finding out, you can do almost anything
  with emacs. I've reprogrammed my keyboard.
  Currently,
  control is to the left of "a"
  hyper is right above control
  alt is on either side of my spacebar
  super is to the left of the alt-left
  TAB is to the right of alt-right.

  Adding the two extra modifier (which may not be available on
  MS-Windows) has opened up a huge number of possibilities and
  functionality.
  Example: Super-n = next subroutine
           Super-p = previous subroutine
           Super-b = previous class
           Super-f = next class
           etc, etc.
  Relocating the control and hyper keys makes combinations
  really, really nimble.

  As far as a grid, as opposed to writing a whole new mode,
  (say for crosswords, why couldn't one write a defun to
   reset keys on an adhoc basis?)

   The trick is remembering all of this. But then I know
   people who speak more than one language :-) lots of
   them actually. <blush>

   For linux users, here's my .xmodmaprc:
   tj

! start
!
! activate with xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
!
clear Shift
clear Lock
clear Control
clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
clear Mod4
clear Mod5
! Swap Capslock and Left Control Key
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keycode 66 = Control_L
keycode 37 = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
! assign left super key to windows key
keycode 115 = Super_L
! assign left hyper key to tab key
keycode 23 = Hyper_L
! assign tab to right control key
keycode 109 = Tab
! assign right meta key to right alt key
!keycode 113 = Meta_R
! reset bits
add    Shift   = Shift_L     Shift_R
add    Lock    = Caps_Lock