Re: problem with 'other-frame' with KDE "Focus Follows Mouse" window beh

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: problem with 'other-frame' with KDE "Focus Follows Mouse" window behavior
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:57:34 +0900

> I'm using Emacs GNU Emacs 21.4.1
>      (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>      of 2005-05-18 on decompose.build.redhat.com
> with KDE 3.4.2-0.fc4.1 Red Hat.

> When I use the "Focus Follows Mouse" KDE window behavior, then the
> emacs command 'M-x other frame' does not work.  I have experimented
> with the variable focus-follows-mouse set to 't' or 'nil' but I don't
> see any difference.

> Other than that, the "Focus Follows Mouse" KDE behavior works
> properly, so I thought it might be an emacs problem.  (On the other
> hand, if I try the "Focus _Under_ Mouse" KDE window behavior instead,
> then 'M-x other-frame' works fine...)

> Previously I was using Emacs 21.3.1 with KDE 3.1.4-4 and it was
> working properly.

> Thanks in advance for any hint.

I have a similar problem on Fedora Core 4, using the Gnome
desktop.  Once I sent a report about that to the emacs-devel
list:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/39702

The solution I wrote there might not help your problem, though.
The problem is in Emacs built with --with-x-toolkit=lucid (which
is the default).  No problem in the one built with --with-gtk,
but /usr/bin/emacs-21.4 that FC4 provides seems to have been
configured as the default.

Masatake YAMATO who is one of the Emacs developers told me that
he will improve it, although it has not been achieved yet.  I'll
forward this thread to him.