RE: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Jay Bingham
Subject: RE: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:36:15 GMT

<Send replies only to the list not to this address>

In a message dated Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:32 AM sbrown@raytheon.com wrote:
> I am running GNU emacs v.21.3.1 on my Windows XP system.   Everything
> works as it should - except printing.  I am attempting to use a Xerox
> Workcenter Pro 238 on a Microsoft Network.  I have spent hours on the
> web looking at all the advice on how to get printing to work.  Nothing
> seems to help.  Is there a concise statement of how to make this work
> somewhere?  Sure am getting tired of copying out of emacs and pasting
> into Notepad just to be able to print.

Steve,

It might help to know what you have tried, so that those who respond will have
an idea of what is not working for you.  I am not sure what you found on the
Internet or why you were even looking there because all the information that I
needed to get printing working from windows was in the Emacs info nodes.

I have the following in my .emacs.  I have no trouble printing from Emacs
v.21.3 to a networked HP printer (I have printed to other brands of printers as
well) from Windows 2000 PRO (XP should not be any different, I did not need to
change any settings when I upgraded to Win2K from WinNT):
;; set the printer command to null
(setq  lpr-command "")
;; set the default printer name
(setq printer-name "//txnprt01/ps8")
;; set the Postscript printer command to null
(setq  ps-lpr-command "")
;; set the default Postscript printer name
(setq ps-printer-name "//txnprt01/ps8")
;; Turn on duplex printing
(setq ps-spool-duplex t)

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlett-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W. Crane-