Re: problem with 'other-frame' with KDE "Focus Follows Mouse" window beh

From: Alain Cochard
Subject: Re: problem with 'other-frame' with KDE "Focus Follows Mouse" window behavior
Date: 18 Dec 2005 16:02:10 +0100

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> > (II A) Case where the frames overlap by the top right corner of the
> > bottom one and the bottom left corner of the top one:
>
> >      --------
> >     |a       |
> >     |        |
> >  ------      |
> > |b     |     |
> > |      |-----
> >  ------
>
> > I start with the mouse out of either frame, frame (a) in front (i.e.,
> > frame (b) partly hidden by (a) -- unlike on the "picture" above), and
> > focus on (b).  On the 1st 'M-x other-frame', the curse goes to frame
> > (a), frame (b) staying behind.
>
> It seems to be just the same case as mine.  Doesn't it solve by
> the following?
>
> (if (and (not (featurep 'xemacs))
>        window-system)
>     (defadvice raise-frame (after make-it-work (&optional frame) activate)
>       "Make it work."
>       (call-process
>        "wmctrl" nil nil nil "-i" "-R"
>        (frame-parameter (or frame (selected-frame)) 'outer-window-id))))
>
> Where "wmctrl" is the external command which you can get from:
>
> http://sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/
>
> Note that you have to install the "wmctrl" command before
> putting the advice into the ~/.emacs file.

 > > (II A) Case where the frames overlap by the top right corner of the
 > > bottom one and the bottom left corner of the top one:
 >
 > >      --------
 > >     |a       |
 > >     |        |
 > >  ------      |
 > > |b     |     |
 > > |      |-----
 > >  ------
 >
 > > I start with the mouse out of either frame, frame (a) in front (i.e.,
 > > frame (b) partly hidden by (a) -- unlike on the "picture" above), and
 > > focus on (b).  On the 1st 'M-x other-frame', the curse goes to frame
 > > (a), frame (b) staying behind.
 >
 > It seems to be just the same case as mine.  Doesn't it solve by
 > the following?
 >
 > (if (and (not (featurep 'xemacs))
 >       window-system)
 >     (defadvice raise-frame (after make-it-work (&optional frame) activate)
 >       "Make it work."
 >       (call-process
 >        "wmctrl" nil nil nil "-i" "-R"
 >        (frame-parameter (or frame (selected-frame)) 'outer-window-id))))
 >
 > Where "wmctrl" is the external command which you can get from:
 >
 > http://sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/
 >
 > Note that you have to install the "wmctrl" command before
 > putting the advice into the ~/.emacs file.

Yes, I did that and it worked.

I had some trouble installing wmctrl, though.  The 'configure' stage
reported:
    checking for X... no
and then the 'make' failed.  As Yamaoka-san said he was on Fedora Core 4,
just like me, I found this strange.  At some point I thought that
installing some KDE development tools (which I hadn't installed) could
solve the problem.  I tried to install them with the KDE 'Add/Remove
Applications (Package Management)' menu.  It failed because something
was not found, which I did not understand.  I then tried to install
some optional package 'kdevelop' (don't know what it is) from the
command line:
    yum install kdevelop
Then the system installed other packages on which kdevelop depends,
and so on.

After it was finished, wmctrl compiled fine, so I inserted the small
lisp lines above and it solved the 'M-x other frame' problem.

Thanks a lot.
a.