Re: auto completion in version control

From: Sebastian Luque
Subject: Re: auto completion in version control
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:53:14 -0600

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

[...]

> This feature is currently missing in VC.  Which revision control system are
> you using and what kind of completion do you expect (on N.M revision numbers
> as used in RCS, SCC, and CVS, completion doesn't seem very useful.

I'm using RCS and what I'd like to see is an autocompletion list showing
which versions of a file are available, just as you showed in your example
below.  The reason is that when doing C-x v ~ you have to know the exact
version number you want to visit.  Having to go to the RCS directory to
get this info is extremely inefficient.

> Also with a remote CVS repository, the need to contact the repository may
> make completion too slow to be useful.

> If you're using CVS, you can try PCL-CVS where you can do:

> C-u b <revision-with-completion> RET o

> to visit a file, just like C-x v ~ would in VC.

Thank you,

--
Sebastian P. Luque