Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:22:06 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii
<eliz@gnu.org>], who wrote in article
<mailman.19684.1134911288.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > However if you want to do it the way you suggest don't you have to know
> > the specifics of the printer then?
>
> You only need to know its name or the port which it captures.

You are joking, right?  You have a buffer which contain one character
only.  Suppose it is 'a'.

Please explain how you can print this buffer if all you know about the
printer is that it accessible through the named pipe "/pipe/printer-input".

Now repeat this assuming that the only character in buffer is U+0292.

Are you assuming that sending character "a" to the printer pipe will
print "a" on paper?  This age is long gone...  I'm not even sure that
typical printers-of-today can work with one-sided-connection at all...

Hope this helps,
Ilya