Re: auto completion in version control

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: auto completion in version control
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:08:39 -0500

>> This feature is currently missing in VC.  Which revision control system are
>> you using and what kind of completion do you expect (on N.M revision numbers
>> as used in RCS, SCC, and CVS, completion doesn't seem very useful.

> I'm using RCS and what I'd like to see is an autocompletion list showing
> which versions of a file are available, just as you showed in your example
> below.  The reason is that when doing C-x v ~ you have to know the exact
> version number you want to visit.  Having to go to the RCS directory to
> get this info is extremely inefficient.

So you actually want completion on the N.M ????
I never thought someone might want to do that.
Could you explain why that'd be useful?
I mean, give a completion list of revision numbers, how are you going to
know which one you want?  It seems to me you always need to find this number
based on some external info (e.g. the log output), so completion won't help
much will it?

        Stefan