Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:23:20 +0200

> From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>
> Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:22:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Bcc: ilya@gnu.org
> Originator: ilya@powdermilk.math.berkeley.edu
>
> [A complimentary Cc of this posting was sent to Eli Zaretskii

Sigh...

> > You only need to know its name or the port which it captures.
>
> You are joking, right?  You have a buffer which contain one character
> only.  Suppose it is 'a'.
>
> Please explain how you can print this buffer if all you know about the
> printer is that it accessible through the named pipe "/pipe/printer-input".

Set printer-name to "/pipe/printer-input" and invoke lpr-buffer.

> Now repeat this assuming that the only character in buffer is U+0292.

This doesn't have anything to do with the issue at hand, but the
answer is the same, assuming you have your encoding stuff set up
correctly wrt the encoding supported by the printer.

> Are you assuming that sending character "a" to the printer pipe will
> print "a" on paper?

On MS-Windows, it does.  This thread was about printing on Windows.

> I'm not even sure that typical printers-of-today can work with
> one-sided-connection at all...

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by one-sided-connection, and
neither what that has to do with this thread.

> Hope this helps,

It doesn't, but I didn't really expect it to.