RE: imenu in a shell buffer?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: imenu in a shell buffer?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:54:24 -0800

    Can an imenu expression list be defined for a shell buffer?

    I running a looong series of tests that all begin with "msg: starting
    test xxx" and end with "msg: ending test xxx", etc.. Naturally, its
    easy to get lost and lose track of exactly which test I'm looking at.

    I was thinking I could define an imenu expression and then easily jump
    from one to another without too much trouble.  Is that possible?

I'm sure you can, but someone else will have to tell you how.

I would think, however, that accessing a menu for this would be pretty slow.
Why not just use `M-x occur RET msg: starting test', and then access the
individual tests by clicking their start lines in buffer *Occur*. Instead of
reopening the menu each time, just keep *Occur* open in its own window or
frame, and use it whenever you want to visit or revisit a test.

If you do decide to use `occur', one thing that I find helps to know where
you've been is highlighting the line numbers of visited lines, in *Occur*. I
have a library that does that as well as a few other things for `occur'.
Description here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OccurBuffer#ReplacePlus. Library here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/replace+.el. HTH.