Entering UTF-8 Characters

From: Cameron Desautels
Subject: Entering UTF-8 Characters
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:11:59 -0600

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to enter UTF-8 characters
numerically?

My ultimate goal is to type "smart quotes" into UTF-8 files.  I've
looked through some of the coding systems, but I can't find any way at
all to enter these characters.  I do realize that there are excellent
packages in existence which make this an easy task, but I'd rather not
*depend* on a package.  Any tips?
--
Cameron Desautels <cam@apt2324.com>

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners."
 -- Ernst Jan Plugge