Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:39:42 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Go to this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_dwfo.asp

and then look in the section Printing Processes.
Thanks, but that was on of the pages I have been reading. It is a good overview to start with. I am however looking for something about where in that picture something like

   c:\> copy file.txt \\host-name\queue-name

ties in. (Or dito using LPT1 etc.) That page I mentioned in another message (Print Job Formats) is at the bottom of the content table to the left in the page above. Maybe that says a bit, but that is only guesses. I am missing some pieces of information here. Seems like we want more technical stuff.

I have been looking around a bit more. Here is something about device drivers, spooling etc:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/graphics/hh/graphics/prnSpool_65349c7f-8e59-4d93-b5ff-0b346049b7f2.xml.asp

Maybe someone can find more about using copy like above? I have not been able to.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/prntspol_0r1j.asp

So far the only really new thing to me in this thread has been CUPS, which I may have heard of before, but obviously forgotten. My conclusions for printing from Emacs on MS Windows are then:

- The printing interfaces on MS Windows and CUPS are different in a way that you actually have to write rather separate input printing code for them or complicated conversion sw. Emacs has good support for CUPS but not for the MS Windows printing interface (that wants EMF format).

- I can find nothing that makes me believe that the "copy" type solutions should work in all cases. (But I will do some more tests when I get time and I wel lcome more facts about this.)

- One solution to the problem is using an external program like GhostScript. I have not tried this, but it may be a very good solution. The advantage is that with it printing capabilities in Emacs on MS Windows are the same as those on *nix like systems with CUPS. The drawback is that is more job for the user since another program has to be installed.

- Another solution is the one I proposed (and which made some people upset for some reason) is using the web browser + htmlize-view.el/htmlize.el to print. The advantage is that you do not have to install any more programs, just to elisp files. You get printouts in colors of exactly the text that you have on the screen. There is very little job to do to get this working. The drawbacks is that this is not the way you print in Emacs on other systems (though you can use it on those systems too). You also have to know a little bit on the elisp level to add the files to your load-path and require htmlize-view from your .emacs.

I think the last solutions is easier. Other may differ. I think the best one can do is to summarize it like above and let the user choose. Nothing is right or wrong here. We are looking for working solutions. Please add more advantages and drawbacks if you can see some!