After upgrade: timeout when starting emacs

From: Brandon Kuczenski
Subject: After upgrade: timeout when starting emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:59:41 -0500 (EST)

I am running Emacs 21.4.1 on Debian. I recently upgraded from probably 21.3, but I don't know for sure what version I was running previously. With the present version, every time I start emacs, there is a 5-second timeout that occurs when it tries to execute the following command from my .emacs file:

(set-default-font "-*-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-iso8859-*")

I did not have this delay in the prior version.

I tried running emacs from strace, but didn't get any information that was useful [to me].

I suspect it may be trying to contact a font server, of which there isn't one. Would that make sense? Is there a way for me to change its behavior?

Thanks,
Brandon