Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:21:47 +0200

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:46:54 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Does not the spooler also handle RAW data?

Yes, I think it does.

> This kind of data would come in at the second step

The text translated to printer commands (i.e. RAW) comes back to the
spooler, so I think the spooler must know how to handle it.

> We are talking about two problems. I wanted it to be very clear that
> there are only two options that we are aware of now to get color printing:
>
>     1) Using the externa program Ghostscript
>     2) Using the elisp file htmlize-view.el (or something similar)

      3) Use a PostScript printer.

> I would like to solve that too if we can. At the moment I am out of
> ideas. Not totally of course (see above), but I do not know what to test
> further.

Can you try ``connecting'' that printer to LPT1 or a similar port?
Click Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then right-click on the
printer's name, select Properties, and click on the Ports tab.  Find a
free printer port and click on its checkbox.  Then see if COPY and/or
Emacs can print to that port as if it were a file (in Emacs, set
printer-name to that port).