Re: ctypes.el is stupid (by default)

From: shreevatsa
Subject: Re: ctypes.el is stupid (by default)
Date: 29 Dec 2005 08:07:36 -0800

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> One problem is that merely loading ctypes affects subsequent editing.
> You could try to disable ctypes with:
> (remove-hook 'find-file-hooks 'ctypes-find-file-hook)

But I _want_ ctypes.el! It's nice and helpful, although it has a few
bugs:
1. STL types not recognized
2. In c++-mode, it recognizes a class as a new type, but not a struct
(probably because of the way it works in C). Unfortunately, I hardly
know any Emacs-lisp, so I can't fix this myself.
3. The link given in ctypes.el, namely
http://www.csd.uu.se/~andersl/emacs.shtml does not work. There's even
an unanswered post about it at
http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-beta/200311/msg00064.html

> Did you read the commentary at the beginning of ctypes.el?

The only relevant part seems to be:
 ;; Currently, this package can parse C and C++ files.  (However, since
 ;; I do not use C++, the probability is high (about 12, on a scale
 ;; from 1 to 12) that I've missed something).  By default C++ inherits
 ;; the types defined for C mode.
;-)

I must admit, however, that ctypes.el is quite smart and useful, so the
thread title is unjustified....