Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:45:04 +0100

Am 30.12.2005 um 15:21 schrieb Angelina Carlton:

I can edit this file or is this not a good idea?

The better idea is to put into a file you have full control on. Once you update GNU Emacs you changes could be overwritten, putting them into ~/.emacs or a site-init.el will keep them longer.

One more thing, the Apple keyboard has real F11-F16 keys which I have
not been able to get working under X,
Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
seemed like the right choice but perhaps I need to address this first?

That's probably correct. The Apple *external* keyboards are a few models -- and they all have evolved as those in the PowerBooks or iBooks too. With xev (it's sometimes 'hidden' in a subdirectory of /usr/X11R6/bin) you can record the missing key codes, and with xmodmap you can make them (re-)assigned when X11 is launched.

In ~/.xinitrc the lines can be:

        userresources=$HOME/.Xdefaults
        usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
        sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
        sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

        if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
            xmodmap $sysmodmap
        fi

        if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
            xmodmap $usermodmap
        fi

In .xmodmaprc the lines could be like:

        keycode 10 = 1 exclam exclamdown onesuperior

To cite from the man page:

Up to eight keysyms may be attached to a key, however the last four are not used in any major X server implementation. The first keysym is used when no modifier key is pressed in conjunction with this key, the second with Shift, the third when the Mode_Switch key is used with this key and the fourth when both the Mode_Switch and Shift keys are used.

One problem is to find the keysyms (names) your system understands. These are predefined in a C header file, /usr/X11R6/include/X11/keysymdef.h. Check whether F1[1-9] are #define'd there!

--
Greetings

  Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?