Re: Truncate string to a given width in proportional font

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: Truncate string to a given width in proportional font
Date: 31 Dec 2005 02:14:59 -0800

OK, thanks. I can get part way to what I want by truncating to N
*characters*, which will definitely fit into a column aligned to N
characters wide (as :align-to uses the maximum character width to
convert, AFAICT). And with a bit of guesswork and approximation, I can
get something good enough.

I couldn't even find a way to check the rendered length of a string in
a proportional font (in pixels or whatever). Is that right?

Thanks for the reply.
Paul.