Making text invisible

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Making text invisible
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:37:05 -0800

I'd like to make some text invisible. I do want to use defface since
the user might not want this text to be invisible. I just want the
default to be invisible.

One thing I thought of was to define the text's face with the same
foreground as the default's background, as in:

    (defface mh-folder-sent-to-me-hint
      '((t
         (:foreground (face-attribute 'default :background)))))

Unfortunately, defface expects the color to be a string.

Thoughts?