Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:40:40 +0100

    [...]

    mitchell> Is there some simple way that I can make all this (exciting)
    mitchell> loading take place in the few seconds after I get my prompt and am
    mitchell> working on my files?

    [...]

Sorry if this is completely off target, but do you know about the "emacsclient"?
I'm just starting my emacsen when logging in and do all my editing via calling
emacsclient, never exiting Emacs at all. Calls to emacsclient are usually as
fast as calling vi(m). So the lag on startup would only hit you once...

It's documented in the Emacs Manual:

Using Emacs as a Server

* Invoking emacsclient:: Emacs client startup options.

Hope this helps.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

'It's the girl in the peach coloured dress,' he said. I stared
intently at the puppet head on the table. 'What the hell's going
on?' shouted Ratso. 'Aren't you gonna talk to her?' I turned the
puppet head a little to one side and then a little to the
other. You couldn't even tell it had been wounded. 'I'll speak to
her,' I said, 'when the glue is dry.'

Kinky Friedman: When the Cat's Away