Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:00:07 +0100

Am 04.01.2006 um 01:34 schrieb BRUCE INGALLS:

(defun save-current-buffer-as-pdf ()

Hello Bruce!

Your site in German is quite funny -- somehow the words look familiar to me, but the sentences built from them ... am I reading the wrong newspapers and magazines that they don't make much sense to me? Which machine tried to "translate" the original texts?

You are using the usual ps-print functions and then ps2pdf to convert PS output to PDF. This is OK for US-ASCII and ISO Latin-1/ISO 8859-1, but it fails already in ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15, ISO Latin with €. It works for almost 200 characters, but there are 60,000 more in Unicode (BMP).

htmlize.el is a great tool, yes! It seems that it converts every textual buffer contents in any encoding without errors to Unicode (UTF-8) preserving text attributes in HTML. Together with htmlize- view.el, which opens the 'printed' buffer in the default Internet browser, one gets access to the system's native printing dialogues (printer choice, paper format, ...) and mechanisms and does not need to take care of any font issues for characters outside the small US- ASCII/ISO Latin world. For 'Carbon Emacs' on Mac OS X this seems to become the standard printing interface ... although some users and developers seem to have a 'strange' feeling when using this! And it does not need third party software (ps2pdf from Ghostview).

--
Greetings

  Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and pencil surpass him in intelligence. (Ernst Mach)