.emacs_bash

From: Will Parsons
Subject: .emacs_bash
Date: 5 Jan 2006 02:25:51 GMT

For quite a long time now I've been mildly annoyed that when I invoke a
shell (bash) under Emacs (running in a GNU/Linux system) that I get a string
of prompts, like:

1 isis$ 2 isis$ 3 isis$ 4 isis$ 5 isis$

(PS1 is set to '\! \h\$ '.)

I finally got around to tracking this down, and it appears it's being caused
by .emacs_bash.  In ~/.bashrc, I have:

export LS_OPTIONS=--color

so that I have pretty colours in ls output, but since this screws up ls
output under Emacs, I created the following .emacs_bash:

======
#  .emacs_bash
#  This file contains additional commands to be run after starting up the
#  bash shell under emacs.
unset LS_OPTIONS
======

If I remove this file, the multiple prompts go away (and I have the screwed
up ls output), but I don't understand why it causes the multiple prompts.

- Will