Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:03:32 +0100

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>>
>>> If proponents of free software ever expect to have their products
>>> in the mainstream and not just the province of geeks, then they had
>>> better
>>
>> Why should I be bothered about the mainstream?  Why should I applaud
>> moves that focus improving software only on non-free systems?  There
>> is absolutely nothing for me in that.
>
> IMHO that is a narrow and self-centered viewpoint.  Fortunately there
> are other viewpoints that include thinking more broadly about trying
> to increase freedom rather than burying one's head in the sand and
> capitulating.

The words of a MacOSX user that applauds moves that disregard anybody
except MacOSX users.  I doubt it gets any narrower and self-centered
than that.

> I'd be very disappointed if that was the official attitude of the
> GNU project!

Of course the official attitude of the GNU project is to promote free
software, and free systems.  It has always been that, right from the
beginning.

That you greed after software that can't be used on free systems and
promote not bothering about free systems does not change that.

It is not uncommon to confuse freedom with unfettered egoism in our
society.

But the important part of freedom is not the freedom to take.  It is
the freedom to give and cooperate.  And that is what the GNU project
has been about from the start.