Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:59:28 +0100

Am 06.01.2006 um 09:36 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

All one needs is download and install the GNU
Intlfonts package and customize a few variables as documented in
ps-mule.el.  In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType
fonts in that package.

These fonts are a mess of patches with holes in them. I do not recommend to use them, except, one uses found rubber parts instead of tyres around one's car's rims because the tyres were needed to build one's shoes, sandal type, from.

The PS or TT fonts come from the old TeX Omega project. In recent TeX you can find more and more complete fonts (meanwhile we are writing the year 2006, it's in the third millennium now).

And I know what I am writing since I have them installed, since I use them still in some Carbon Emacsen (some variants are handicapped from inadequate and proprietary decisions in last millennium), since I used them in GNU Emacs 22 which now has a basis of complicated fontsets from mostly mono-spaced Unicode encoded TrueType fonts -- from time to time I still see glyphs from the GNU Intlfonts! Fighting with these fontset definitions brings much more pleasing results than using this given up and incomplete work-around.

There is probably good reason that ps-type1.el is not included in GNU Emacs.

And I am sure this decision is not based on the existence of htmlize.el. Which looks more like a perfect work-around for something missing in GNU Emacs, or, in other words, like a solution for a since long existing problem.

--
Greetings

  Pete

To be is to do.