Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:07:31 +0100

LB> David Kastrup wrote:
>> The ability to craft a pretty MacOSX-only thing from Emacs is part
>> of the value of free software.  Doing so exercises the freedom, but
>> it does nothing to sustain it.
>>

LB> In a sense you are right, but I wonder if this is really true. I
LB> think it is important to be very careful here. Can you for sure
LB> say that the last sentence is true?

LB>  From my perspective I doubt it. I have to use proprietary
LB> software (read Windows) in my job. It is quite hard for me to be
LB> able to use Emacs

Until I managed to  earn my right for a Linux box,  I used Windows too
and had no problem at all with Emacs from version 19.

I did not install the last Emacs version in Windows, since I use Linux
at work and boot eXtra Panzone (extra fat, even fatter than me, it's a
joke  that works  in  Italian only)  only when  I  have to  run a  job
reporting tool  (read crap) that  runs in excel,  so I don't  know how
difficult it is.

My opinion is  that a S.O. specific  thing is good as long  as it does
come as an add on on the  standard Emacs that a user gets only if s?he
needs  it and  explicitly requires  it.

So, since I use Emacs from version  19 under Unix, I would like to see
that once installed  on Windows it behaves the usual  way (i.e. no cua
stuff and so on). The same about Aqua Emacs.

I used to run Mac OS X for about (then I kicked it out, it doesn't fit
my needs) and compile CVS Emacs. I  was glad I could use the apple key
as Meta and Alt as super (i  do the same with those keyboards with the
flag key). Then a  guy I know pointed out Aqua Emacs.  I don't use Mac
OS X any more, but gave a look to the site.

I understand that long time mac users would love it, as does that guy.

But let those customization be  something someone activates only if he
wants them, it's good to put them  as default choice, but it has to be
a choice.  Personally, I would rather  use old vi than  the Aqua Emacs
customization, but  other people disagrees and everybody  must be free
to use the tool the way s?he wants.

Even if I feel that they loose something not using Emacs the Emacs way.

CUA and  Mac OS  X interface are  too young  and stubborn to  have the
wisdom that comes with 30 years of evolution.

--