Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:07:24 +0200

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:59:28 +0100
>

> Am 06.01.2006 um 09:36 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > All one needs is download and install the GNU
> > Intlfonts package and customize a few variables as documented in
> > ps-mule.el.  In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType
> > fonts in that package.
>
> These fonts are a mess of patches with holes in them. I do not
> recommend to use them, except, one uses found rubber parts instead of
> tyres around one's car's rims because the tyres were needed to build
> one's shoes, sandal type, from.

I don't know what you are talking about.  I don't maintain Intlfonts,
I just used them when I needed to print text that my printer didn't
support with its fonts.  I got quite readable text, but perhaps I'm
not as knowledgeable as you are about font design.

Also note that Intlfonts were originally meant for use in display, not
in ps-print.  Later ps-mule and ps-bdf were added to use PostScript
commands to download the fonts to the printer before printing text.

In any case, the right thing to do about bad fonts that Emacs users
are recommended to use is to volunteer to improve them.  Until then,
Intlfonts is the best collection of free fonts we know about (if you
know otherwise, please suggest better alternatives, so that we could
mention them in the Emacs installation instructions).

> There is probably good reason that ps-type1.el is not included in GNU
> Emacs.

The only reason I know of is that it never got finished.

> And I am sure this decision is not based on the existence of
> htmlize.el. Which looks more like a perfect work-around for something
> missing in GNU Emacs, or, in other words, like a solution for a since
> long existing problem.

Sorry, can't parse this.  Perhaps my English is not good enough.