Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:03:56 -0600

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:09:44 -0600, Tim McNamara writes:

   TM> Except that many of the free tools are not superior to
   TM> the proprietary ones in practice.  And without
   TM> attending to that, free software risks being nothing
   TM> more than a pedantic, philosophical stance and being
   TM> nothing other than marginal.

First of all I apologize for quoting your post partially. In
my opinion the other parts have already been addressed by
David.

I just add a few lines about the above-quoted text, about the
necessity for developers to address the "disadvantges" of free
software with respect to proprietary.

Free software is developing by itself or I might say it's
undergoing evolution like a living creature. It's growing and
getting better. This process will never stop[1] and is, in
some sense, autonomous.  In contrast, commodities are done to
be sold. Here developers bow to the market.

The conclusion about better development, then, can be
easily be drawn.

Footnotes: [1] unless free thinking and free exchange of
information become prohibited. That's why I said (see my
important than financial support. That's why I'm writing this
lines.

Best regards,
luis

--