query-replace?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: query-replace?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:04:29 GMT

i.
I have a character \234 in a file that should be displayed as an oe
ligature. I have tried M-% C-q (0)234 but this doesn't work for getting it
into the patter to be replaced. How do I refer to this character?

ii. Is it possible to include newlines in regexps? I have a five line
header on each page that begins with same characters on 1st line and ends
with same on last line. What is the most automated method of deleting just
these lines?

.*\n can't work of course. Since some of the lines are blank, I inserted
C-q C-j into the string but that produced a litteral ^M. ??

Thanks