Re: query-replace?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: query-replace?
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 06:20:24 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:04:29 GMT
>
> I have a character \234 in a file that should be displayed as an oe
> ligature. I have tried M-% C-q (0)234 but this doesn't work for getting it
> into the patter to be replaced. How do I refer to this character?

Not as \234.  Internally, non-ASCII characters are encoded differently
inside Emacs buffers; \234 is that character's _external_ encoding, in
a file.

To see what is the internal codepoint, go to that character and type
"C-u C-x =".  In the buffer that Emacs pops up, look for the number
labeled "buffer code".

> Is it possible to include newlines in regexps?

Yes, use "C-q C-j".

> .*\n can't work of course. Since some of the lines are blank, I inserted
> C-q C-j into the string but that produced a litteral ^M. ??

C-q C-j should produce a literal newline, not ^M.

Btw, in the future I suggest not to ask several different unrelated
questions in the same message, but instead split it into several
messages.  That would allow you to give meaningful Subject lines to
each message, and readers of this forum will be able to tell in
advance, by just reading the Subject lines, whether they can help you
with some of the problems.