Emacs Turkish Support

From: mdozturk
Subject: Emacs Turkish Support
Date: 8 Jan 2006 12:29:58 -0800

Hi,
I'm trying to create a Turkish website and I'm using emacs as an editor
to edit my php/html files.  I decided to use utf-8 as the coding
method, windows XP supports the turkish q keyboard.

I can create files with no problems whatsoever, I see turkish
characters correctly in emacs, they keyboard works as it is supposed
to, the web site correctly displays turkish characters.

I decided to edit one of the files I created earlier, when emacs loads
the file it thinks the file is latin-1 and loads it as such so I see
garbage on screen.  I try to tell emacs that the encoding is utf-8
using C-X RET f utf-8-dos RET C-X C-F filaname.  Emacs seems to like
that command (I get a 'u' on the lower left specifying the buffer is
utf-8) but the screen still shows garbage.

I'm using emacs 21.3.1.

Any suggestions?

Mustafa