Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Joe Bush
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:01:49 GMT

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Sure.  A bunch of baloney filtered through usability labs might still
> be a bunch of baloney.  I was just talking about
> "established/fledgling", and that is, free or nonfree, a difficult
> position to start with.  Lots of free software has been able to pull
> this off because of the single advantage of being free.

Yes. I also agree that the idea of "Let's just do it, and try to
get legal papers for it later" has no place in free software. Any
software however trivial, which purports to be free, but which cannot
trace it's pedigree completely provides a handle that a copy-rite
attorney could use to throw the whole FSF into question. Doesn't
matter if the rest of the software's clean. The case could simply be
litigated to the point of bankruptcy for the FSF.

Here's a question: Why hasn't Apple itself 'prettied-up' Emacs? It's not
like they have neither the time, nor the ability to do so. I seem to
recall (though I could be wrong) that OSX itself is a 'prettied-up'
HMI wrapper around BSD.

-Joe