Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:55:15 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> /usr/share/fonts/bdf$ ls
[...]
> Does any of these fonts support Latin-9?  If not, that's the reason
> for the empty box instead of the Euro.

I don't know.  Probably not, as you message on emacs-devel suggests.

> But if your printer has Latin-9 fonts, you could use
> 'bdf-font-except-latin if you modify
> ps-mule-font-info-database-latin to handle Latin-9 instead of
> Latin-1.

With the patch and setup suggested by Kenichi Handa I was able to
print Latin-9 but it was wrong for Latin-1.  (see my previous message:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/9536>)

Maybe Emacs could do something similar to GNU enscript.  Printing my
sample file with "enscript --encoding=latin9" (and latin1) works
there: gs is able to display the correct glyphs.  (Since most
end-users don't have real PostScript printers, it should be possible
to render the output with gs as most print systems on GNU/Linux use
it, AFAIK.)

> Anyway, the original issue was this:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 06 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> > Your message to which I replied made it sound like Emacs PostScript
>> > printing is broken for anything but Latin-1.  Which is clearly not
>> > true.  All one needs is download and install the GNU Intlfonts
>> > package and customize a few variables as documented in ps-mule.el.
>
> So, even if Latin-9 is not supported because Intlfonts doesn't have a
> font for it, it doesn't mean only Latin-1 is supported.

I didn't claim that it doesn't work for anything else but Latin-1.  I
only tested the most important encoding beyond Latin-1 for my region
which is Latin-9 because of the Euro sign.

> Try printing Latin-2, Latin-3, Cyrillic, Thai, Japanese, etc.

Printing the same file (with the €uro) encoded in UTF-8 fails with:
"bdf-read-font-info: BDF file etl24-unicode.bdf doesn't exist"

Printing the Thai example text from HELLO produces a PS file, but gs
can't display the PS file (as in my previous mail):

Unrecoverable error: typecheck in aload
Operand stack:
    SpaceWidth  --nostringval--

Bye, Reiner.