Re: Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:57:59 +0100 (CET)

> So I want to use ANGE-FTP with Emacs 22.x.  Alas, setting the tramp
> default method, ala (setq tramp-default-method "ftp"), still leaves
> TRAMP in the path being difficult.   I want to get rid of it.
> Completely.
>
> How can I completely remove TRAMP from a release?  I can install
> ANGE-FTP via my site-lisp directory and my .emacs file.  I commented
> out the TRAMP section in ../lisp/loaddefs.el; however, that didn't
> work.  Did I miss something or is there somewhere else to go as well?

Add the following to your ~/.emacs:

(setq file-name-handler-alist
      (delq (rassq 'tramp-file-name-handler
                   file-name-handler-alist)
            file-name-handler-alist))

This will kill tramp dead, but it won't reinstate ange-ftp, so you
have to do that.  Search for file-name-handler-alist in ange-ftp.el, and
you'll find some commented out code that shows how that is done.