Re: Q on minibuffer-message

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Q on minibuffer-message
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:23:34 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:19:29 -0800
>
> The point is that it would be useful to be able to inhibit the action of
> `minibuffer-message' from _without_, just as you can turn off logging of
> messages in buffer *Messages* from without.

I'm not sure Emacs should cater to such a concern: a function that
calls `message' is clearly supposed to be invoked interactively, not
silently.

In other words, you are asking for a mechanism to subvert the intent
of the author of the function which calls `message'.

If a good reason presents itself to allow non-interactive invocation
of the function, a better solution would be rewrite it so that its
code is divided into two parts: one that is an internal
non-interactive function, the other an interactive wrapper.  Like
find-file and its subroutines, for example, or save-buffer and its.

> Imagine a scenario where you have no control over the definition of `foo'.
> You simply want to use it, but not hear its `minibuffer-message' noise.
> Binding `minibuffer-message-timeout' to 0 (or nil, or t, or whatever) should
> let you do that. That's all.

You have defadvice, which is an official way of committing such crimes
of uncleanness.