Re: Commands not working

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Commands not working
Date: 27 Jan 2006 22:45:06 -0800

Wow, I think Harald Hanche-Olsen is good. He's right I was in a
terminal. I in fact did not have X running on any terminals.

This is what I ended up doing:

I wondered if I would have the same problem with emacs in X. So I
started up X. When I started up X I was given an initial configuration
screen, one of the cofiguration things was about my keyboard. I
answered this. Something like I have a U.S. keyboard I think. I had
never even started X before because as I said in my first post, I had
just installed Slackware.

Then I was in X. Then I tried emacs in X and it worked perfectly. Then
I went to a terminal and tried it from a terminal outside X and it was
now working perfectly. I got out of X and tried a terminal and it
worked perfectly. I rebooted my computer. And with a reboot and only
being in a terminal and not having X running anywhere, emacs ran
perfectly.

I think it may have been the initial little configuration that was
required when I first started X. At any rate, emacs started working
perfectly right after the first time I started X.

Maybe it has something to do with what Harald Hanche-Olsen said about
emacs being an X client.  Interesting. Thanks to you all for your help.

Nick