Re: indentation, setting variables, commands, and M-x

From: Neil Cerutti
Subject: Re: indentation, setting variables, commands, and M-x
Date: 3 Feb 2006 21:05:09 +0100

On 2006-02-03, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
> In this case, you want to search the manual for "indent" or
> "indentation".  Looking through the explanation of Info mode (from
> `C-h m'), you'll see that `i' looks up a topic in the index, and `s'
> searches the manual for a term.  Using either `i indentation' or `s
> indentation' will soon get you to the part of the manual that
> answers most of your questions (`i indentation' will take you there
> directly, because there is an "indentation" index entry).

It's a slight pain when Emacs uses vocabulary that is hard to guess,
e.g., fill for line-wrapping, and font-lock for syntax coloring. In
these situations, s and i aren't much good.

Those issues are slowly sorting themselves out for me, though.

> Emacs is a self-documenting system - perhaps the first such and
> still probably the best. Spend some time learning the help commands
> first (`C-h ?'), then explore the manual a bit. You'll soon be
> hooked.

I'm finally learning emacs because the functional programming world
seems to rely on it for so many of their IDEs. I'm on a strict regimen
of NO VIM until I'm finally confortable with it. Learning vim first
was just a historical accident, after all.

--
Neil Cerutti
When you're in the public eye, it's wrong to cheat on someone,