Re: Vertical split autofill

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Vertical split autofill
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:52:00 -0500

> Yes, auto-wrap again. Anyway, I was working on a Web
> page in the default HTML fill mode and it auto-wraps
> the long <p> blocks well enough. However, when I split
> the screen vertically, <p> lines run on to the right
> way off the screen. Horizontal split screen doesn't do
> this, but wraps tolerably well. Is there any way to
> make lines wrap in vertical split? (I saw
> longlines.el, but I wanted to ask here first.)

auto-fill-mode doesn't pay attention to the size of the window that displays
the buffer.  It just uses fill-column, which you can set via C-x f.

> Also, with the M-q command, it seems to move the right margin in very
> aggressively, too much actually. Is there a way to tame it to, say, an 80-
> or 100-character block?

That's what set-fill-column is for.  More than 80 is not recommended because
brains can't handle long lines as well as shorter ones.

> Also(^2), in HTML fill mode, the standard C-M-\ indentation throws
> everything off, disregarding any tag matching. Is there anything out there
> better than the standard HTML fill mode for Web editing?

Try a more recent sgml-mode.el.  The one in Emacs-CVS does proper
indentation.

        Stefan