Integrating GNU emacs with chess package & images

From: binit
Subject: Integrating GNU emacs with chess package & images
Date: 6 Feb 2006 20:43:44 -0800

Hi,

I faced some problems while integrating chess pkg. First, to compile
emacs with Xpm, I downloaded Xpm libraries but it refused to link with
lXpm in 'athena' mode. Surprisingly, it did for 'motif' mode.
Furthermore, while I tried to load emacs chess in images mode, it used
to crash just before rendering.

After that, everything was OK, images were loaded but it was too big
and didn't fit on my screen. When I tried to resize it, emacs crashed!
Maybe its some fault of configuration, that I do not know. Then I
noticed that whenever I gave some command that required redraw, it
crashed.

Library for Xpm is the latest one : xpm-3.4k-solaris

Its surprising for me, I've never seen emacs crashing...

And, please tell me if there's a way to open jpeg file in emacs. Or, if
I could program it in elisp (though I'm new to it).

Binit