Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?

From: Paminu
Subject: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 22:01:03 +0100

When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the build in
converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not contain
any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I have
these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).

Therefore I have been told to use "dvipdfm" instead.  Is there anyway to
make emacs use this by default instead of pdflatex?

Are there any differences between the two converters, besides that dvipdfm
works with pictures?