string-replace interactive function hit or miss?

From: ChristineLWilson
Subject: string-replace interactive function hit or miss?
Date: 11 Feb 2006 12:01:31 -0800

Hi,
  I have a large text file that I need to replace multiple pieces of
text with other chunks...so I open my file in emacs, make my function
interactive, but it seems as though the replacements are happening hit
or miss.  Any ideas why this isn't running properly and how I can make
it complete/reliable?  Please see the function and text chunk below.

Thanks,
Christine

;;the interactive function
(defun replacegoals ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (replace-string "(goal qleadin" "\"Consider the following
question:<P>\", \"GNAME:qleadin\",")
  (replace-string "(goal e1b1.q" "\"<B>Suppose that the suitcase has no
wheels, and is instead subject to a frictional force as it slides
across the floor.  If everything else were the same, how would the work
done by the strap on the suitcase change?</B>\", \"GNAME:e1b1.q\",")
  (replace-string "(goal dummyans" "\"<P>Please enter your answer:\",
\"GNAME:dummyans\",")
  (replace-string "(goal ialeadin" "\"Here is how a physics expert
answered the same question:<P>\", \"GNAME:ialeadin\",")
;;;and so on....
)

;;a chunk of the text file
(goal e1b1ctr
  (goal qleadin
        "Consider the following question:<P>")
  (goal e1b1.q
        "<B>Suppose that the suitcase has no wheels, and is instead subject to
a frictional force as it slides across the floor.  If everything else
were the
same, how would the work done by the strap on the suitcase
change?</B>")
  (goal dummyans "<P>Please enter your answer:"
        (("$anything else$")))