using vc-svn

From: maabney2
Subject: using vc-svn
Date: 13 Feb 2006 07:52:57 -0800

I'm trying to figure out how to use svn from within emacs. vc-svn.el
gets loaded correctly and doing
C-x v v works properly for updating, commiting etc. I'm having trouble,
though, with branching. The manual says to do C-u C-x v v to create a
branch, which starts out fine. It then asks me for a branch number and
to input a log message. This appears to not actually create a new
branch, but rather to just check in my revisions. So, how then does one
create a new branch? Or is this not possible with vc-svn? In fact, it
seems like doing C-u C-x v v doesn't actually do anything different
than just C-x v v, except ask for a branch number, which seems to be
ignored.

Also, it doesn't seem like it can handle merges when there is a
conflict. I just get an error message about emacs not being able to
understand the update result. So, are these known deficiencies in
vc-svn or am I just doing things wrong?

Mark