define-key OK; defiune-key-after won't evaluate

From: RD.
Subject: define-key OK; defiune-key-after won't evaluate
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:16:46 -0800 (PST)

I can define a menu button in the menu bar, placed to the left of the
File button, thus:

(define-key global-map [menu-bar rsave] '("Save" . save-buffer))

But I don't know how to use define-key-after.  I get a Lisp error:

(define-key-after global-map [menu-bar rsave]
   '("Save" . save-buffer) 'tools)
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "multi-event key specified in
`define-key-after'")

Is it obvious what's wrong?

[Aside: I posted a related question yesterday, but I couldn't see how
to post this follow-on question as a response to that question, i.e. in
the same thread.]