Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Turn off the effects of enclosing in forward slash
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:26:49 -0600

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:

>> I think I once learned how to turn off the way emacs hides slashes
>> when they are around a world like /home/ (Use C-u g to view this
>> message if you don't see forward slashes around home) but have
>> forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very
>> often.  But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of
>> something that doesn't need it.
>
> `C-h k' tells you that `g' runs the command
> gnus-summary-show-article and confirms that `C-u g' prevents the
> article massaging functions from being run.  You can click on
> `gnus-sum' in the *Help* buffer to see the command's implementation
> and see that in the `C-u' case it binds these variables:
>
>     (let ((gnus-have-all-headers t)
>         gnus-article-prepare-hook
>         gnus-article-decode-hook
>         gnus-display-mime-function
>         gnus-break-pages)
>
> (And I don't even use gnus.)

And your reply doesn't help much... : )... You'll notice I specified
C-u g to see the slashes in my post.

A better  solution was posted by Katsumi Yamaoka:
  on gmane.emacs.help

  From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
  Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
  Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:12:30 +0900

  > I think  I once learned  how to turn  off the way emacs  hides slashes
  > when  they are around  a world  like /home/  (Use C-u  g to  view this
  > message  if  you don't  see  forward  slashes  around home)  but  have
  > forgotten it since it wasn't something that I care about very often.

  > But every so often it causes me to do trouble shooting of something
  > that doesn't need it.

  In Gnus, you can inhibit emphasizing of text surrounded by *...*,
  _..._, /.../, etc. by setting the `gnus-treat-emphasize' variable
  to nil.  Otherwise, you can customize the `gnus-emphasis-alist'
  variable so that it might show /.../ (and also other characters).

  [INS] [DEL] Customizing Style
  Start regexp: /
    End regexp: /
    Show start and end patterns: [ Off ] ==> [ On ]