Re: Finding Unused Identifiers

From: August Karlstrom
Subject: Re: Finding Unused Identifiers
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:25:10 GMT

B. T. Raven wrote:
"Markus Triska" <triska@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:4406fc36$0$11610$3b214f66@tunews.univie.ac.at...

Hi August,

August Karlstrom wrote:

Is there a way to find all unused identifiers in an Elisp file?

There's no programmatic way.

All the best,
Markus.

I probably don't even understand the question

I mean "forgotten" variables and functions that were never intended to be exported. I know that in Elisp all identifiers with file scope are exported, but it would be nice to at least have a list of all declared-but-never-used-in-the-same-file identifiers. That would give you an hint of what can safely be removed.

but, out of curiosity I ran
the following in *scratch*:

(boundp 't)
(boundp t)
(boundp 'v31416)
nil

Why can't the file be loaded, tokenized, and then run the list of tokens
against boundp? Or by "unused" do you mean something other than unbound?

Ed

August

--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
signature.  This email was infected under the terms of the GNU