folding/outlining

From: Sebastian Luque
Subject: folding/outlining
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:38:13 -0600

Hi,

I've spent some time looking for a method to outline code, and the allout
package seems to be the best way to go.  I had trouble understanding the
documentation in the customization group for allout, so I'd appreciate
some help setting it up to work with ESS.

I tried:

(require 'allout)
(outline-init `ask)

and did M-x outline-hide-bodies while in a few elisp files, to do a
minimalist test, but I'm getting the following trace:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  re-search-forward(nil nil move)
  outline-pre-next-preface()
  outline-hide-region-body(1 24422)
  outline-hide-bodies()
* call-interactively(outline-hide-bodies)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
* call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2005-10-02 on trouble, modified by Debian, and ess 5.2.11.  Could
this be a bug in allout.el with this particular Emacs version?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

--
Sebastian P. Luque