Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:20:40 +0800

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

> I discussed with XWEM original author a while back and adding GNU Emacs
> support was on his todo list. I do not know if the project is still maintained
> though.
>
> I also read yesterday that someone on the sawfish mailing list wanted to have
> some kind of interaction between sawfish and GNU Emacs.
>
> At last, ion3 comes with mod_ionflux which has now his GNU Emacs module.
> Mod_ionflux allows one to (remotely or not) control ion3: really neat.

What i'm thinking of now is that, with Emacs being the WM, we could,
control other applications just like a buffer or a mode in Emacs. For
instance, when there is a firefox, and an Emacs, "C-x 2" can split the
screen into two parts, one of them is firefox. This way, it would be
very convenient and consistent to manage applications running outside
Emacs.

--
William