Re: View image types

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: View image types
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:56:05 +0100

From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:52:24 +0100

My most recent Emacsen show this as the value of image-types:

        (png gif tiff jpeg xpm postscript xbm pbm)

If that's the CVS Emacs, I think you are in the wrong forum.

Actually I found on Mac OS X 10.4.5 (Tiger) that the recent GIF or unGIF libraries reached a state where configure recognised them as usable (function EGifPutExtensionLast was found). But of course GNU Emacs 21.3.50 from CVS in GTK+ look knows the same image-types now ... (no 21.4 around)

 From a dired buffer I can view the pictures in PNG, GIF, TIFF, or
JPEG (not JPEG2000) format, but not in any of the other four formats.

Is that the right behaviour? Or is there anything I have to set to
view them?

You mean, you cannot display XPM?  If so, what icons do you see on the
tool-bar buttons?

I see them, of course.

Displaying XPM works for me.  Perhaps some shared libraries
disappeared from your PATH or something.

When I press v on an XPM, XBM, or PS file I don't see the picture, only the file's internal code. For PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, or PBM formats I see the picture and no code at all. This different behaviour puzzles me ... (well, XPM, XBM, or PS are kind of ASCII internally, and so easy to 'edit')

--
Greetings

  Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.